Monday, September 16, 2013

The Future Isn't so Far Away

As a senior in college, I am quickly realizing that graduation is increasingly approaching.  My excuse for three years has been, "Oh, I have time, I'll think about that later."  Now, I'm running out of time.  I have to think now. 

There are two very specific things that I must think about now:  1) what type of job do I want to have and 2) what morals/values/work environment do I want to have and uphold in my future job?

For the first question, I have that one figured out - I want to have a job in development and fundraising for a university, hospital, or nonprofit organization that I believe in.  Basically, I want to help others.  I want to feel like my job matters.

The second question was more difficult.  In my organizational communications class, we had to look over a list of values* and slowly filter through until we found the ten most important values to us individually.

My top ten were:
- Decisiveness
- Having a family
- Helping other people
- Honesty
- Integrity
- Meaningful work
- Being around people who are open and honest
- Personal development
- Purity
- Religion/Faith


I then continued by slowly marking of each one off of my list until I had my two most important values:  Meaningful work and religion/faith.  I chose these two as the most important values to me because I feel that by adhering to these values and making them a priority, they will encompass the other values on my list as well.

To break it down:  to me, development for an organization is meaningful work.  It involves raising money for a cause that benefits others and seeks to better others.  Having a job where the work is meaningful and not selfish means that there will be integrity in what I do.  I can further develop myself personally by doing work that takes the focus off of myself and adds the perspectives of others.

Also, I am a Christian.  My religion and faith are very important to me.  As I finished my list of values, I noticed that most of them are values that are incorporated already into my faith.  I feel as if I prioritize my religion on the top of my list, then I will be able to fulfill other values that I listed such as honesty, purity, integrity, helping others, and decisiveness.

Now, I am able to answer two very important questions about my future.  After deciding what values are most important to me in a future job, I am more confident to approach job applications, interviews, and (hopefully!) a future work environment.






ashton


*Exercise and checklist found in The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook

No comments:

Post a Comment